Sports and Energy Drinks - Europe - November 2011
Overall European sales of sports and energy drinks have continued to grow in spite of the economic recession, with consumers looking for alternative soft drinks and trying to cope with today’s fast-paced lifestyles. The UK is the number-one market for energy drinks, supported by the highest penetration rate (31%) and active new product development, while Germany leads for sports drinks.
As a result of the economic recession, consumers are placing increasing importance on value for money, with many looking for special offers and the lowest possible prices when doing their household shopping.
Some key questions answered in the report include:
- There is continued overall growth regardless of the economic recession. What characterises this strength, and how can growth be maintained?
- In spite of an expanding range of sugar-free alternatives, regular varieties continue to generate the bulk of energy drinks sales, while sports drinks are dominated by ready-to-drink products. How can functional products be promoted to add value to the market?
- Sales and product innovation are led by big multinational suppliers and their flagship brands, with Coca-Cola, PepsiCo and Red Bull in the lead. Are there opportunities for smaller and new companies to succeed in the market?
- Consumers’ growing health-consciousness has resulted in more products being labelled additive/preservative-free and low/no/reduced sugar and calorie. How can manufacturers add more function to GNPD?
- Energy drinks depend strongly on a male-oriented core consumer base of under-35s, with 15-19-year-olds recording a particularly high level of product take-up and frequency of use. Can energy drinks be promoted specifically to older age groups? Or is this sector simply not worthwhile investing in?
- Economic austerity makes consumers more price-conscious with an increased focus on value for money. Can sports drinks and energy drinks maintain value growth in light of continued economic hardship?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.