Sports Goods Retailing - UK - May 2010
- Despite the recession, and against a background of aggressive discounting, the sports goods retail market’s value has remained above 2006 levels, at an estimated £5,646 million in 2010 (compared with £5,600 in 2006). It is expected to resume 4-6% annual growth from 2011.
- Parents of under-15s are 50% more likely than non-parents to have bought sports equipment, clothing or footwear in the last 12 months, but this drops off through the secondary school years.
- The sports goods market remains fashion-driven, dominated by clothing and footwear, which account for 75% of market value. Both these segments have held up well during the recession, while equipment sales slipped 12% year-on-year in 2009.
- The number of independent sports shops in the UK has fallen from 4,000 to around 1,000 in recent years. There are still more independent outlets than Sports Direct, JJB Sports and JD Sports combined, but in value terms the independents are estimated to command only around 10% of the market.
- Consumers who browse online but buy in-store are typically younger and more likely to be female, whereas older, male sports participants prefer to try things out in-store but then go online to buy them.
- A fifth of consumers overall say they would happily buy sportswear from fashion clothing shops such as Next or Topshop – this is the case for 23% of women, compared with 15% of men.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.