Suncare - Europe - November 2011
With the UK market an exception, European sun care sales were somewhat sluggish in 2010, although increased consumer awareness regarding the damaging effects of sun exposure is a major positive market driver. The launch of value-added products combining cosmetic and protective benefits has also been a supportive factor. France remains by far the most valuable, with sales expected to reach some €401million in 2011.
New product development increasingly incorporates more skincare benefits, with many recent launches incorporating anti-ageing, antioxidant and nourishing ingredients, thus positioning sun care skus as beauty products. The general naturals trend is apparent also within sun care, with increasing focus on the development of products with botanical and herbal components and non-chemical filters.
According to TGI Europa, product penetration peaks in Germany, with 64% and 55% of women and men, respectively, using sun care. Take-up is lowest in France, with GB and Spain occupying the middle ground. The core consumer group is formed of women, 35-44s, the working population, the highest income group and larger 4+ households with children.
Some key questions answered in the report include:
- European sun care sales were lacklustre in 2010, with the UK market putting on the best performance and seeing value sales increase by just under 5%. The general outlook for 2011 is, however, for stagnation or even a small decline.
- New product development is increasingly geared towards combining cosmetic and protective features, with skincare benefits.
- Product penetration peaks in Germany where 64% of women and 55% of men use sun care. Take-up is below European average in France, which offers the best opportunities to expand the current consumer base.
- Use of sun care products is biased towards women, 35-44-year-olds, the working population, top earners and larger households with children.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.