Supermarkets and Hypermarkets - China - May 2014
“Already facing strong competition in the more developed urban markets, supermarket and hypermarket chains are now also facing competition from the rapid growth of online grocery retail. This is creating a greater need for innovation among retailers. New store formats are emerging to meet different local market needs in higher tier cities, and as chains increasingly penetrate into lower tier cities."
– Matthew Crabbe, Director of Research, Asia-Pacific
This report covers the retail sale of food and non-food products through supermarket and hypermarket outlets within the People’s Republic of China. These outlets are defined as:
- Supermarkets: Modern chain grocery (food and non-food) retail outlets with sales areas of between 300m2 and 5,999m2.
- Hypermarkets: Modern chain grocery (food and non-food) retail outlets with sales areas of 6,000m2 and above.
- Warehouse stores: Modern chain grocery (food and non-food) retail outlets that require shoppers to become members and hold a membership card before they can use the store – usually, but not exclusively, for business owners.
- Modern grocery: Includes all of the above plus convenience stores (included only as a comparison against the core market), which are defined as being modern chain grocery (food and non-food) retail outlets with sales areas of less than 300m2. Online grocery: Online retail businesses that sell both food and non-food products.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.