Supermarkets - Europe - November 2015
“Food retailing is changing fast. Superstores have reached the limits of growth in France and the UK, there is unsatisfied demand for online shopping in Germany, Italy and Spain. The hard discounters are making a major impact outside Germany. The old certainties no longer apply and food retailers are under pressure to adapt.”
– Richard Perks, Director of Retail Research
This report looks at the following areas:
- In the UK superstores are losing market share
- In France, the fastest growing sectors are convenience stores
- In Germany the hard discounters are retrenching, even though in many other countries, notably the UK, they are gaining market share
- In Spain there has also been a move to smaller supermarkets, but here it has been driven by a desire to save money by shopping more on an as needs basis. Mercadona has been the biggest beneficiary, but it is looking under threat from the discounters
- Online is growing, but still takes only a small share of sales, even in the most developed country, the UK.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.