Sustainable Food and Drink - US - August 2010
The sustainable food and drink market in many ways is still in its infancy. As a food movement that began decades ago simply to offer a small segment of consumers all natural and organic products, it has now developed into a multi-billion dollar platform that crosses many industries beyond agriculture.
And well it should, considering that the vast majority of consumers (84%) have purchased sustainable food and drink in the past month. It's likely that more are actually buying products unknowingly—for the moment. Consider the fact that a consumer buying Starbucks coffee, whether at a Starbucks outlet, the supermarket, airport, or otherwise, may in fact be buying certified organic, Fair Trade coffee without reading the label carefully.
This report, the first of its kind offered from Mintel, delves into consumer behavior toward green and sustainable products with a particular focus on sustainable food and drink. Based on Mintel’s exclusive survey, the consumer sections make up the bulk of this report and capture information critical to manufacturers and retailers alike including:
- Which product or packaging claims resonate most with consumers
- What drivers and deterrents are at play in purchase decisions
- The types of food and drink that consumers are buying, by sustainable claim
- An in-depth focus on specific sustainable food and drink products that have come to market and consumer interest in these products, as well as willingness to purchase
- Attitudes of consumers toward eco-friendly and sustainable products, segmented by food lifestyle
- What select retailers and manufacturers are currently doing in terms of a sustainability platform, their end goals, challenges and successes
- What’s driving the market forward, from new product innovations, to food safety scares
- What’s slowing the market down, from reactive innovating that may be “too little, too late,” to increasing confusion even among current users of sustainable food and drink
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.