Sweet and Savoury Spreads - Europe - July 2011
The spreads market continued to grow throughout the recent recession, driven by a desire for indulgence and a demand for new natural and functional spreads. Sweet spreads remain a staple food, although the penetration of jams, for example, is threatened by the growing use of breakfast cereals, lower sales of bread, and even a decline in the frequency of eating breakfast, as a result of hectic lifestyles. Chocolate spreads continue to benefit from their popularity among children and teenagers, although concerns about obesity have impacted on volume demand, leading to low calorie NPD in recent years.
Both sweet and savoury spreads are marked by suppliers trying to increase the use of their products in cooking and baking, in order to boost usage frequency in these highly mature and saturated markets. The markets have seen considerable price hikes recently as a result of the increase in the price of raw materials.
NPD continues to be driven by health and wellness trends, with a growing presence of organic spreads and products suitable for vegetarians and vegans. Ethical and environmental claims are also gaining ground as a way of differentiating products and brands.
In this report we answer the key questions:
· How well have spreads weathered the recession? Will the twin demand for indulgence and health benefits continue to drive growth?
· Recent price increases, caused by the hike in commodity prices, have put brand margins under pressure. Will this have a significant effect on the market?
· How dynamic was NPD in 2010, as manufacturers focused on consolidating and repackaging their lines?
· Both sweet and savoury spreads have good prospects provided they adapt their offers to the changing consumer eating habits and lifestyle trends. How can this be achieved?
· How will traditional segments such as jam and honey respond to the challenge of cereals to defend their place at the breakfast table?
· Will chocolate and nut spreads continue to drive growth due to their high indulgence value and appeal to both children and adults?
· Savoury spreads are likely to move strongly in favour of healthy vegetable spreads and dips with versatile application and lower fat content. How influential is the health trend in the European sweet and savoury spreads markets?
GNPD covers all sweet spreads and savoury spreads. Sweet Spreads include: caramel and cream spreads; chocolate spreads; confiture and fruit spreads; honey; nut spreads; and syrups. Savoury spreads include: dips, a common condiment for many types of food; meat pastes and pâtés; sandwich fillers/spreads; savoury vegetable pastes/spreads; and yeast extracts.
Specific GMN definitions are included below. Please note that GMN and TGI data only cover sweet spreads. Please also note that for individual countries, the scope in terms of segmentation or distribution may differ depending on which source data are available.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.