Teahouses and Coffeehouses - China - October 2012
“Café chains only really began to appear in China in the late 1990s, and have grown very rapidly in number since, while the tea house sector has struggled to find a response in terms of a successful organised, branded, franchised chain. Yet both sectors remain locked in competition for the higher-end urban consumers who enjoy the cultural cachet of premium cafés and tea houses."
Some questions answered in this report include:
- How has the recent emergence of cafés and coffee culture impacted the traditional place of tea and tea houses in China?
- Which companies have been leading the race to develop the café market, and how are they innovating to stay ahead in developing consumer interest?
- What has been the effect of the emergence of fast food and convenience stores cafés?
- Which consumer groups are the leading café and tea house chains appealing most to, and who are they missing out?
- How has the emergence of bubble tea chains affected the markets for both cafés and tea houses?
- Is the emergence of more fusion food in the wider catering market beginning to influence café and tea house drinks and food menus?
Yet the high end is only part of the story, and not only do we already have fast food and convenience store cafés coming in to compete for a younger, lower-income market, there has also been the recent development of the bubble tea phenomenon, with their tea and coffee soft drinks fusion concept.The leading café chains are looking for fast expansion, while the tea house sector is beginning to see the emergence of significant chains, but the market has to continually adapt and innovate as it grows in order capture the interest of consumers amid competition from independents, as well as other competing foodservice sectors.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.