The Connected Home - UK - June 2019
Covered in this report
For the purposes of this report the labels ‘smart’ and ‘connected’ refer to a family of features including: home automation and adaptive behaviour powered by machine learning; connectivity with other devices (including, but not limited to, a user’s smartphone) via various protocols (including Wi-fi and Bluetooth); and providing users with data on device usage (eg energy consumption data).
Devices referred to as ‘smart’ and/or ‘connected’ may have some, but not all of these features. The connected home products included within the scope of Mintel’s consumer research for this report are:
- Smart heating appliance/thermostat (eg Nest Learning Thermostat, Hive Active Heating)
- Smart security devices (including door locks, cameras and sensors)
- Smart lighting (eg Phillips Hue)
- Smart appliances (eg fridges)
- Smart audio speakers (eg Sonos Play)
- Smart home hub controllers (eg SmartThings Hub)
- Voice-controlled speakers with embedded virtual assistants (eg Amazon Echo, Google Home)
“Growth in the connected home market is primarily being driven by voice-controlled smart speakers, with Amazon continuing to dominate the sector with its expanding Echo range. Competition in the smart speaker market and improving sound quality will support further growth over the next year. In the wider connected home market, many people still need convincing of the necessity of such devices, although heating, lighting and security are all delivering promising year-on-year ownership growth, with security showing most short-term potential among non-owners.”
– Matt King, Category Director, Technology and Media Research
This report examines the following issues:
- The success of voice-controlled smart speakers must be used to drive the wider connected home
- Maximising the potential of the smart security market
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.