The Dollar Channel - US - July 2009
At the time of this writing, the country remains mired in a recession that began in December 2007. Throughout 2008, Americans made subtle and not so subtle changes to their shopping and spending patterns, which slowed growth at many companies and, more generally, the U.S. economy.
This has had a negative impact on most channels but many dollar stores, like supercenters, have posted considerable sales growth during the downtown. Q1 2009 results from large dollar store chains continue to indicate that these companies can do quite well in a down economy. As such, the channel has become more important to a variety of businesses such as the CPG firms that manufacture an increasing share of the products sold at these stores.
In order to provide insight into how the channel is evolving and how to appeal to dollar store customers, Mintel addressed the following questions in this report:
- What are the annual sales of dollar stores in the U.S and how are they projected to grow in the future?
- How are various economic and demographic trends in the U.S. impacting the channel?
- What are the leading companies in the channel and what are they doing to succeed in the current economic environment?
- What proportion of the population shop at dollar stores?
- What are the most common reasons for shopping at dollar stores?
- Why do some people avoid dollar stores?
- What items are most commonly purchased at dollar stores?
- What segments of the population shop at dollar stores the most and how is the demographic composition of the shopper base changing?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.