Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the The Future of Breakfast Cereals market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Key points included
- Breakfast indulgence
- Guilt-free & better-for-you
- Following the latest diet trends
The big stories
Cereals are stepping up their innovation game around unique shapes and colours as well as new and nostalgic flavours since consumer interest in indulgence remains strong. However, attempts to find the right balance of health and indulgence are also gaining more steam, including efforts to tap into the latest diet trends
In the next two years
Gut wellness is expected to attract more attention from brands and consumers while portability and snackability will continue to have a big impact due to increasing time pressures. Providing more excitement, on the other hand, will also remain important given that competition from other breakfast/snack products is becoming stronger.
In five years and beyond
The definition of sustainability is changing to encompass the entire product lifecycle. This circular approach will require cereal brands to more closely embrace their roles in sustainable sourcing and production as well as disposal and/or reuse of food and packaging waste.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Honorata Jarocka, a leading analyst in the Food & Drink sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Despite consumers' preference for healthier and more wholesome foods, many of the top cereal names (eg General Mills and Kellogg's) are finding success with their sugary brands, including Lucky Charms and Frosted Flakes. Since turning sugar into a taboo may only make it more tempting for indulgence-driven consumers, sweetened cereals can still be part of a balanced and joy-filled lifestyle. Honorata Jarocka
Senior Food and Drink Analyst
Table of contents
Table of contents
the big stories
- Breakfast indulgence: focusing on taste, fun and nostalgia
- Guilt-free & better-for-you: improving the health credentials of cereals
- [Graph] Global: breakfast cereal launches with low/no/reduced sugar claims, 2015 vs 2019
- [Graph] Global: cold and hot cereal launches, average sugars content, 2015 vs 2019
- Following the latest diet trends: vegan and high protein as well as paleo- and keto-friendly cereal
- [Graph] Global: breakfast cereal launches featuring vegan and protein claims, 2015-19
in the next two years
- 'Your Gut Is Your Second Brain': supporting digestive wellness
- [Graph] Global: breakfast cereal launches featuring gut wellness* claims, 2015-19
- The snackability of cereals: a greater variety of formats, pack types and usage occasions
- [Graph] Global: breakfast cereals, new product launches, top 'convenience' claims, 2015-19
- An extra dash of excitement: introducing new concepts, functionalities and textural experiences
in five years and beyond
- [Graph] Global: breakfast cereal launches featuring selected environmental claims, 2015-19
key market data
- [Graph] Global: breakfast cereals, new product launches, top five countries, 2019
- [Graph] Global: breakfast cereals, new product launches, top five claims, 2019
About the report
This report will give you a complete 360-degree view of your market. Not only is it rooted in robust proprietary and high-quality third-party data, but our industry experts put that data into context and you’ll quickly understand:
What They Want. Why They Want It.
Who’s Winning. How To Stay Ahead.
Size, Segments, Shares And Forecasts: How It All Adds Up.
New Ideas. New Products. New Potential.
Where The White Space Is. How To Make It Yours.
What’s Shaping Demand – Today And Tomorrow.