The Future of Chocolate, Sugar/Gum Confectionery: 2020
Key points included
- Vegan chocolate goes mainstream
- Flavor drives confectionery categories
- Gum should innovate with stand-out flavors
The big stories
It is no surprise that flavor continues to drive a category as personal and indulgent as confectionery. And flavor innovation may revive the gum category. Also trending this year is the continued growth of vegan confectionery, especially chocolate confections made with plant-based milks.
In the next two years
Ruby chocolate is teetering on the brink as it tentatively enters the US market. And, technology beyond 3D printing is making it possible for more innovative experiments for do-it-yourself confections. Confectionery can keep its sweet focus, as it supports emotional well-being.
In five years and beyond
""Fair trade"" is being replaced by a plethora of other sustainability programs. Upcycling in the gum category may have gone a step too far, and the past has a future as nostalgia will give way to new-stalgia.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Marcia Mogelonsky, a leading analyst in the Food & Drink sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Flavor is a major purchase driver in chocolate, sugar and gum confectionery. While consumers tend to stick to their favorites, they are also interested in experimenting with new flavors, especially when buying products for themselves. Marcia Mogelonsky
Director of Insight
Table of contents
Table of contents
the big stories
- Purchase decisions rest first on flavor
- Gum has to innovate to survive. One strategy revolves around flavor
- [Graph] Global: gum launches by flavor, 2016-19
- Vegan goes mainstream
in the next two years
- Does ruby chocolate have a rosy future?
- 3D printing and beyond
- Heathy habits can include confectionery
in five years and beyond
key market data
- [Graph] Global: chocolate confectionery, top 5 claims, 2019
- [Graph] Global: sugar and gum confectionery, top 5 claims, 2019
- [Graph] Global: chocolate confectionery, volume sales (000 tonnes), top 10 countries, 2019 (est)
- [Graph] Global: chocolate confectionery, per capita consumption, top 10 markets, 2019 (est)
- [Graph] Global: sugar and gum confectionery, volume sales (000 tonnes), top 10 markets, 2019 (est)
- [Graph] Global: sugar and gum confectionery, per capita consumption (kg/capita), top 10 markets, 2019 (est)
About the report
This report will give you a complete 360-degree view of your market. Not only is it rooted in robust proprietary and high-quality third-party data, but our industry experts put that data into context and you’ll quickly understand:
What They Want. Why They Want It.
Who’s Winning. How To Stay Ahead.
Size, Segments, Shares And Forecasts: How It All Adds Up.
New Ideas. New Products. New Potential.
Where The White Space Is. How To Make It Yours.
What’s Shaping Demand – Today And Tomorrow.