Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the The Future of Facial Skincare market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Immediate future: next two years
Provide holistic products that improve consumers' health and wellness by giving feelings of relaxation, security and confidence. Develop new postbiotic varieties specialized to the market, linking with the probiotic wellness movement. Differentiate clean brand positioning with personalized sustainability missions.
Planning ahead: next five years
Leverage growth in non-invasive treatments with professional services to create daily aesthetic skincare routines. Embrace the growing diversity of multicultural skin types with offerings that respect each one. Ensure the brand targets these consumers in message and product features.
Market overview: key data
China skincare sales are expected to exceed 37% of global market sales by 2021, underlining its growing importance for large South Korean, Japanese, European and US brands.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by David Tyrell, a leading analyst in the BPC sector, his extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Consumers seek a better balance of body and mind, in which skincare plays an integral role. Clean, natural extracts that offer anti-stress benefits (eg adaptogens) are gaining greater acceptance in the West. Create new product mixes of traditional Eastern medicinal favorites as part of a holistic, natural set to relax and restore personal balance. Ward off both outdoor and indoor pollution, which for many regions has become the lead stress inducer. David Tyrell
Associate Director, Global Skincare
Table of contents
Table of contents
immediate future: NEXT two YEARS
- Have a holistic health & wellness mantra
- [Graph] Europe: % of women who are interested in beauty/grooming products that reduce anxiety and stress and help relax, 2019
- [Graph] Europe and US: % of new anti-ageing facial care launches with "blue light" in product description*, by market, 2017-19
- [Graph] Europe and US: % of new anti-ageing facial care launches with pollution in product description*, by market, 2016-19
- Postbiotics advance the probiotic wellness narrative
- [Graph] Global and US: number of mentions of "postbiotics" on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest, Dec 2018-Nov 2019
- [Graph] US: % of women who are aware of probiotics in beauty products, by age group, July 2019
- [Graph] Global: % of new BPC launches with postbiotics**, by sub-category, Nov 2015-Oct 2019
- [Graph] China: % of women who have heard of the facial skincare ingredient and purchased or heard of yet not purchased or are not aware of, May 2019
- [Graph] Global: % of new facial care launches with postbiotics or yeast ferments,* Dec 2017-Nov 2019
- Make conservationism an essential part of the mission
- [Graph] Global markets*: % of consumers concerned that the ingredients used in natural products (eg palm oil) are not sustainable, July 2019
- [Graph] Market: carbon neutral claim, % of new facial care launches, Dec 2016-Nov 2019
Planning ahead: next five years
- Take advantage of potential in undersold derma skincare and aesthetics
- [Graph] Select European markets: "In the last 12 months I have used doctor-branded facial skincare," 2019
- [Graph] UK: "Which of the following skin conditions have you experienced in the last 12 months?," July 2019
- Hyper-personalize for diverse types of skin
- [Graph] Latin America* and US: % of women interested in purchasing beauty products that provide shades for all skin tones, July 2019
- [Graph] China: % of women's skin issues that are most frustrating over last six months, May 2019
Four winning strategies for the future
market overview: key data and interpretation
- [Graph] Top five facial care markets: % of market total of global retail value sales, 2015-21 (est)
- [Graph] Latin America
- [Graph] North America
- [Graph] Asia Pacific
- [Graph] Europe
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.