The Hispanic Grocery Cart - US - September 2010
Hispanic consumers spend more per year on groceries than any other ethnic group and their purchasing power of $951 billion exceeds that of any other U.S. minority. Yet, grocery advertising targeted specifically to the Hispanic consumer is sparse, especially to Spanish-speakers, who would like to make informed purchasing decisions in their own language so they can enjoy the grocery shopping experience to its full extent. Hispanics have a rich culinary tradition that calls for a variety of ingredients, leaving the door of opportunity open for a vast range of products to capture the attention of Hispanic shoppers. As more and more Hispanics acculturate, they are also on the lookout for convenience, making prepared, shelf-stable and frozen foods more desirable and in need of advertising to the Hispanic consumer.
Readers of this report will learn what Hispanics are putting in their grocery carts and how to compel the Hispanic consumer to purchase more of their products. This report provides analysis of Mintel’s exclusive consumer research and the cultural factors that can help enterprises understand these figures and develop their marketing strategies accordingly. Key topics include:
- Why Hispanics spend more per household on groceries than any other U.S. ethnic group, and how stores and enterprises can capitalize on this fact
- How the current economy has affected Hispanics’ grocery expenditures, including the products that are most purchased and those that are going into fewer of Hispanics’ grocery carts
- Factors that influence the Hispanic grocery shopper, including product prices, coupon usage, purchases of private label products, Spanish-language packaging and more
- Hispanics’ consumption of products in 10 named categories, such as breakfast foods, beverages, dairy, produce and snacks. These sections also offer insights and opportunities for selling these products to Hispanics based on their levels of acculturation, language preferences and other cultural factors
- Methods of advertising groceries to the Hispanic consumer through television, internet and magazines, including strategies that have already been employed by companies and opportunities for new marketing strategies
- A demographic overview of the U.S. Hispanic population, including information about households, national origin and geographical distribution, plus how these characteristics contribute to grocery purchases and how stores and manufacturers can market accordingly
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.