The International Hotel Industry - March 2017
“There is an increasing blurring of the lines in the lodging sector between hotels and alternative accommodation, such as peer-to-peer rentals, serviced apartments, hostels, etc. AccorHotels has plunged head first into the alternative accommodation space with their 2016 acquisition of onefinestay and their newly launched Jo & Joe brand. Choice Hotels has dipped a toe into alternative accommodation with their holiday-rentals platform and the Spanish hotel group Room Mate has embraced the sharing economy wholeheartedly with its Be Mate offering that provides hotel services in rented apartments. More hotel chains are likely to follow this trend in the coming months and years. At the same time, there is a realisation that product quality and reliability need to be enhanced in the accommodation-rental sector if the likes of Airbnb are going to succeed in broadening their customer base to attract upmarket leisure travellers and corporate managers.”
- Jessica Kelly, Senior Leisure Analyst
This report provides an overview and update about the current trends and outlook for the international hotel industry, and looks at the following areas:
- What are the key issues currently facing the hotel industry?
- How will the increasingly volatile and unpredictable political environment impact the hotel industry going forward?
- How will rising interest rates impact hotel values?
- What are the trends and who are the players in the world’s major hotel markets?
- Is the hotel cycle peaking?
- How are the major chains confronting the sharing economy?
- What are hotels and chains doing to attract more direct bookings?
- Why has there been such a proliferation of hotel brands?
- What are the prospects for the biggest integrated hotel chains?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.