The Photography Consumer - US - April 2013
“Digital camera manufacturers may offer a product with superior quality and features but with two substantial disadvantages—it is not always at hand and consumers are generally satisfied with the quality and convenience of the camera on their mobile device. Digital pictures can be lost through human error, device failure, and format obsolescence among other reasons. This is the ultimate challenge to address.”
– Billy Hulkower, Technology Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- Can digital photos survive a human and technological obstacle course?
- Are digital point-and-shoot cameras facing a slow death?
- Can more adults without children be drawn into the market?
- Can home printing be resuscitated?
- Is there money to be made in photo sharing?
The landscape for taking, sharing, storing and printing pictures has changed as more consumers, particularly young adults, are using photographic images as their preferred form of communication. Their comfort with technology and demand for immediacy are driving change in the photography market, and these changes are manifest in the use of camera-equipped mobile devices (cellphones, smartphones, tablets) and digital cameras, ways of sharing and disseminating images, as well as for permanent storage and preservation solutions.
This report focuses on the behaviors, attitudes, activities of consumers who take pictures on a mobile device or a digital camera (their interest in film cameras is discussed in relation to digital cameras but it is not a primary focus of the report).
It includes consumers’ interests in:
- Cell phone cameras
- Tablet cameras
- dSLRs (digital Single Lens Reflex)
- Other SLRs (Single Lens Reflex)
- Compact point and shoot
- Mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras
- Other still photo capture devices
It also covers post-photo capture behavior as it relates to use of social networks, photo sharing, and storage sites as well as use of home printers and photo printing services. Video capture is excluded from this report.
For the research presented in the consumer sections, respondents were given the following explanations.
- Compact point-and-shoot camera (e.g. Canon PowerShot, Nikon Coolpix, Fujifilm FinePix)
- Tablet with a camera (e.g. iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Galaxy)
- Digital SLR (single lens reflex) (e.g. Canon EOS Rebel, Nikon D3100)
- Premium Compact camera (Sony DSC RX100)
- “Android” Camera (e.g. Nikon Coolpix s800C, Samsung Galaxy Camera Ek-GC100)
- Mirrorless System Cameras/Interchangeable Lens Camera (not a Digital SLR – single lens reflex) (e.g. Sony NEX-7, Olympus E-PM2, Panasonic Lumix)
- Camera that features WiFi Direct (Samsung DualView DV300F)
Reasons for taking pictures:
- To document a social event (pictures of friends, parties, other social activities or events – not family)
- To take pictures of scenery, landscapes (photos not of people)
- To capture information I want to recall or have a record of (e.g. product of interest, storm damage)
- As part of my work (not professional photographer)
- Citizen journalism (e.g. capture events/activities/images for self-publication or publication on a blog or news site)
Take a look inside a sample report to see what you will receive: Download now.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.