The Private Label Food Consumer - US - November 2013
“A slowly recovering economy and lingering perceptions of inferior quality are inhibiting sales growth. Retailers will need to address these issues and others through innovation in products and positioning.”
– Sarah Day Levesque, Food and Drink Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- How can retailers encourage increased store brand usage?
- How are retailers addressing perceptions of poor store brand quality?
- How can retailers differentiate between value and premium store brands?
The private label food market has grown 19% from 2009-13, driven by increased demand during and after the recession of 2008 and 2009. Increased demand during this period was supported by increased availability of store brands and improving quality. Continued consumer concerns about the economy, along with increased availability of both premium and value-positioned store brands, will help drive the market. An increasing trend toward investment in store brand marketing also will help increase awareness of and interest in store brands. However, as the economy continues to recover, retailers will need to continue to develop new products to address growing consumer food concerns, such as convenience, health, and demand for natural or organic.
Among the topics covered in this report are:
- What is driving, or hindering, the private label food market?
- What is the current market size and future projections?
- What types of private label food products are most successful with consumers?
- Which companies have been the most aggressive in marketing and what positioning are they using?
- How are retailers innovating with private label food products to better address consumer needs?
- What actors influence consumer behavior and what matters most to consumers?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.