The Recreational Cannabis Consumer - US - September 2018
"As of July 2018, nine US states and the District of Columbia have legalized cannabis for recreational (adult) use, and moves toward expanded legalization are underway. This has and will continue to impact some food and drink categories. Already, 34% of cannabis users have decreased alcohol consumption since legalization, likely contributing to the recent alcohol sales slowdown. Beyond the challenge to recreational categories, cannabis appeals for functional benefits, pointing to a need for other segments to be on alert. Leading reasons for cannabis use are relaxation and stress relief, and leading reasons identified for potential use include pain relief and medical conditions."
- Beth Bloom, Associate Director - Food & Drink
This report looks at the following areas:
- Nine US states and Washington DC have legalized recreational cannabis
- US sales of recreational cannabis estimated to reach $6.7 billion in 2018
- Men under the age of 55 are the most likely cannabis users
- Relaxation and relief drive cannabis usage
- From “new” market to specialization in record time
- A third of cannabis consumers have reduced alcohol consumption
- Non-cannabis brands are getting in on the action
- A shift in popular cannabis formats can be seen
- A robust cannabis culture offers new paths for engagement
- Market nascence means the risk of uncertainty
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.