Trendsetters - UK - January 2011
Mintel has predicted eight key consumer behaviour trends for 2011, examining how consumer behaviour is changing in the wake of the recession.
- In this report Mintel uses exclusive online consumer research to quantify these trends, identifying the groups of consumers who will be taking them forward, as well as the likely impact on brands.
- The march of technology, and its possible downsides in terms of loss of the human touch, is another of the 2011 Inspire trends (see Affection trend). Among Mintel’s respondents, it was the fun aspect of new technology that prompted the most positive responses. More than six in ten agreed that ‘I find it fun playing around with new gadgets’.
- High-street retailers are finding it increasingly difficult to compete with the online experience in terms of price and convenience, but Mintel’s research found that, despite widespread recognition of the advantages of internet shopping, seven in ten still prefer to see and touch the goods before they buy.
- Smartphone apps, particularly those using location-based technology, are revolutionising retailing. Mintel’s research suggests that shoppers using Marks & Spencer and Waitrose (which have both been active in the field during 2010) are particularly enthusiastic about their smartphones, and keen on using apps to make their lives easier and more interesting.
- Among the social and demographic developments predicted by Mintel is an acceleration of the long-standing trend towards non-traditional gender roles in households, for example men doing more housework, and women taking more control of finances.
- Getting closer to nature is one way of coping with recessionary gloom. A dominant feature of Mintel’s research into Inspire trend Modern Urban Nomads is the high level of interest in city-based nature pursuits among respondents aged under 35.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.