TV and Film: Enhanced Viewing Formats - UK - July 2010
- More than half of UK adult internet users (around 19.5 million people) now have an HD-ready TV in their home, making it the most popular form of enhanced viewing technology. However, only 39% of those with an HD package agree that it is worth paying extra for the picture quality on an HD TV.
- The tremendous success of Avatar has contributed to the fact that 44% of adult internet users (just over 17 million people) have seen a 3D film at the cinema. However, once again only 48% of people who have seen a 3D movie agree that 3D films really improve the cinema viewing experience.
- Exactly half the number of people with HD-ready TVs have an HD package (25% of adult internet users or 9.7 million people), underlining the considerable latent potential for broadcasters to increase take-up of HD packages in the future.
- Adoption of Blu-ray players is relatively low at present, with fewer than a fifth of adult internet users aged 16+ (7.4 million people)saying that there is one in their home. A major factor contributing to this is a lack of awareness of what Blu-ray is, particularly among women.
- The main obstacles to further development of IMAX in UK cinemas are the small number of sites in the UK (currently 13) and a lack of understanding as to the benefits of the IMAX format, with 22% of adult internet users aged 16+ (around 8.6 million people) citing this.
- Sport is likely to be the prime driver of adoption of 3DTV, with 15% of adult internet users aged 16+ (rising to 22% of men) saying they would be interested in watching it in 3D in their own home.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.