UK Carpets and Floorcoverings market report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Carpets and Floorcoverings market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry and how fast are its rates of growth? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Products covered in this Report
For the purposes of this Report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
Carpets and rugs
- Woven carpets including wool or wool/synthetic mix, synthetic fibres (including polypropylene, nylon).
- Tufted carpets – manufactured by punching the fibre into a jute or synthetic backing that is then kept in place by use of an adhesive.
- Fibre-bonded carpets – made by meshing together a blend of fibres to form a web that is treated by heat or resin impregnation.
- Carpet tiles – may be fibre-bonded, fusion-bonded or tufted.
- Non-fixed textile floorcoverings – include loose carpets and rugs but excluding doormats, bath and toilet pedestal mats.
- Vinyl/vinyl tiles – cushion vinyl sheet, which is offered both with and without a cushioned underlay, vinyl tile.
- Laminate – including those manufactured from resinimpregnated paper that is sandwiched together by either direct or high-pressure methods.
- Ceramic tiles.
- Other smooth flooring – includes linoleum, cork, stone.
The Report concentrates on the UK consumer (residential) market for carpets and other floorcoverings, although it recognises the importance of the contract market to the wellbeing of many manufacturers. Carpet fitting costs are also taken into consideration, both through the use of professionals and selffitting.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Jacob Holder, a leading analyst in the Retail sector, his extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
The carpet and floorcovering sector is set to continue growing in line with a buoyant housing market, but times are ‘a-changing’ in the sector. As competition increases, and space for new retailers becomes available with the decline of Carpetright, we can expect to see new offerings and product ranges from retailers eager to capitalise on Carpetright’s loss. Consumers want floorings that are easy to clean and a modern, fresh store layout and offering, which all retailers in the sector should look to capitalise upon if they want to benefit from this growing demand.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.