UK Cloud Computing market report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Cloud Computing market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry and how fast are its rates of growth? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
This report is concerned with cloud computing, which is defined as a type of computing that relies on sharing computing resources, rather than local servers or personal devices, to handle applications. In cloud computing, the word cloud (also frequently phrased as ‘the cloud’) is used as a metaphor for the internet. The phrase cloud computing could also therefore be defined as "a type of internet-based computing", where different services, such as servers, storage and applications, are delivered to an organisation's computers and devices through the internet. Effectively cloud computing is taking services outside of a company or organisation’s firewall on shared systems.
The goal of cloud computing is to apply high-performance computing power, normally used by military and research facilities, to perform tens of trillions of computations per second, in consumer-oriented applications such as financial portfolios, to deliver personalised information, provide data storage or power large, immersive online computer games. To do this, cloud computing uses large networks of servers typically running low-cost consumer PC technology with specialised connections to spread data-processing chores across them. This shared IT infrastructure contains large pools of systems that are linked together. Often, virtualisation techniques are used to maximize the power of cloud computing.
Cloud computing investment can be segmented into three distinct areas:
- SaaS represents software deployed over the internet. With SaaS, a provider licenses an application to customers, either as a service on demand, through a subscription, in a “pay-as-you-go” model, or increasingly at no charge when there is opportunity to generate revenue from streams other than the user, such as from advertisement or user list sales.
- PaaS can be defined as a computing platform that allows the creation of web applications quickly and easily and without the complexity of buying and maintaining the software and infrastructure underneath.
- IaaS is a way of delivering cloud computing infrastructure (servers, storage, network and operating systems) as an on-demand service. Rather than purchasing servers, software, datacenter space or network equipment, clients instead buy those resources as a fully outsourced service on demand. There are a number of sub-sectors that can be identified, with IaaS obtained as public or private infrastructure or a combination of the two. “Public cloud” is considered infrastructure that consists of shared resources, deployed on a self-service basis over the internet. By contrast, “private cloud” is infrastructure that emulates some cloud computing features, like virtualisation, but on a private network. Additionally, some hosting providers are offering a combination of traditional dedicated hosting alongside public and/or private cloud networks. This combination approach is generally called a “hybrid cloud”.
- Amazon Web Services UK
- BT Group
- Fasthosts Internet
- iomart Group
- ThinkGrid/Colt Technology Services
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Terry Leggett, a leading analyst in the B2B sector, his extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Cloud computing continues to grow strongly as more companies look to migrate IT activities, and early adopters increase the number of applications and processes using the cloud. Market penetration has considerable further potential, with both enterprises and SMEs increasingly adopting cloud computing solutions, which will be furthered as companies move to a scaleable pay-as-you-go model rather than capital-intensive investments.
Senior B2B Analyst
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.