UK Consumer Attitudes towards Mobile Payments market report
"Despite the huge interest in mobile payments across the financial services industry, Mintel's research suggests that actual usage is low. Companies have two main challenges to overcome to achieve growth: they have to convince consumers that paying with a smartphone is a secure transaction method; and they need to give people a compelling reason to switch from using cards. Consumers are most likely to use mobile payments if they are rewarded for doing so through schemes such as Android Pay Day."
Rich Shepherd, Senior Financial Services Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
- Security concerns are consumers' biggest turn-off
- Incentives are the key
- A cardless, not cashless society
This Report looks at consumer attitudes towards mobile payments. This includes an examination of the market context surrounding contactless and mobile payments and regulatory changes in the industry, as well as looking at the main mobile payment services and innovations. Mintel's exclusive consumer research investigates the type of payments people make, how aware they are of mobile payment services and what types of transactions are made through smartphones.
Finally the Report examines consumer attitudes such as why people would choose to use make mobile payments, their thoughts on the security of these payments, and consumer concerns about the usability of the technology.
For the purposes of this Report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- Peer-to-peer mobile payment services: A number of the best-known mobile payment services involve transferring money via an app, rather than making a point-of-sale transaction. This includes the most well-known and widely used payments service, PayPal. These schemes are often used to transfer funds between individuals, but can also be used to pay companies.
- Point-of-sale mobile payment services: Point-of-sale mobile payment services are schemes which allow in-store purchases. Currently, most of these services rely on near-field communication (NFC) technology. These are the systems which are most closely associated with the term mobile payments as a competitor to cash and cards. This includes Apple Pay and Android Pay.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.