UK Consumers and the Economic Outlook: Quarterly market report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Consumers and the Economic Outlook - Quarterly Update market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
What you need to know
- Our measure of how people feel about their finances compared to a year ago fell sharply in September.
- This was short-lived, however, and people reported a similar level of sentiment in October to the one seen throughout much of 2018.
- Consumers remain split into three fairly stable groups. 50% say their finances are about the same as last year, 26% feel better off, and 24% feel worse off.
- The August base rate rise has had little impact. It may have been a factor in the drop in sentiment in September, but the instant recovery a month later suggests any effect was due to perception, not a real hit on budgets.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Rich Shepherd, a leading analyst in the Financial Services sector, his extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Financial well-being and confidence was lower in each of the three months to October than we reported throughout the summer months. This matches the stagnant economic performance in August and September. Overall though, most consumers are still getting by, and remain relatively optimistic about their financial future.
Senior Financial Services Analyst
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.