UK Current Accounts market report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Current Accounts market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry and how fast are its rates of growth? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Products covered in this report
The focus of this Report is on retail current accounts, including packaged accounts for mass-market customers. The Report does not cover premium or private bank accounts targeted at the mass affluent-to-high net worth customers in detail.
The predominant type of pricing model for current accounts in the UK is the free-if-in-credit (or ‘free banking’) model. This is where the customer does not pay any direct fees for having the account if in credit, or for core services such as direct debits and cheques. Interest is usually charged on any money borrowed via an overdraft, which can be either ‘authorised’ or ‘unauthorised’.
Current accounts can be classified into various sub-types:
- Basic current account – does not carry any charges as it is designed for those with a poor credit score. Customers can set up direct debits and are provided with a debit card, but the account typically does not come with an overdraft facility or in-credit interest.
- Standard current account – based on the free-if-in-credit model, it does not carry any charges provided there are sufficient funds in the account to meet any payments made.
- Student and graduate current accounts - variants of the free-if-in-credit model and may offer special features, such as an interest-free overdraft. For more detailed information on these products, please refer to Mintel’s Student Finance – UK, May 2017 Report.
- Premium or packaged current account – usually involves the customer being charged a monthly fee in return for a range of additional benefits, such as travel insurance and motor breakdown cover.
- Reward current account – usually offers a cash bonus or reward upon switching and offers cash rewards for paying in a set amount of money each month or for paying utility bills with the account.
- Offset current account linked to a mortgage – links a current account to a mortgage by allowing the cash held in the current account to reduce mortgage debt. Instead of earning in-credit interest, the mortgage interest payments are based on a reduced debt value, allowing the debt to be paid off quicker.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Jessica Galletley, a leading analyst in the Finance sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Regulatory measures aim to increase competition in the market, ensuring established providers will have to work harder to attract and retain customers. Open Banking should make it easier for people to compare and identify products that are better suited to their needs. However, the biggest challenge will be encouraging people to review their arrangements in the first place.
Financial Services Analyst
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.