UK Gas Supply and Distribution market report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Gas Supply and Distribution market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry and how fast are its rates of growth? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Key Issues Covered in this Report
- What have been the patterns in gas consumption by key end-use industries in recent years?
- What are the projections for annual gas demand by key end-use industries up to 2042?
- What are the drivers for capital investment in the gas supply and distribution industry?
- How do environmental legislation and regulations affect the industry?
- What are the key issues facing the gas supply sector?
The terms of reference for this report concern the UK gas distribution and supply sector, comprising the downstream activities of supply to the industrial, commercial and domestic sectors.
A number of industry-specific phrases are used in this report, which are defined below:
- Beach gas: Gas available at an onshore reception terminal after arriving from offshore production.
- Interruptible gas sales: Sale of gas at reduced prices, where supply can be cut off for a number of days each year to assist in balancing peak supply and demand.
- Kilowatt: One thousand watts.
- Megawatt: One million watts (one thousand kilowatts).
- Gigawatt: One thousand megawatts.
- Terawatt: One thousand gigawatts.
Market Segmentation, by End Use Industries, UK
- Iron & Steel
- Non-ferrous Metals
- Mech Engineering
- Elect Engineering
- Food, Drink & Tobacco
Market Segmentation, by Non-industrial Sectors, UK
- Public Administration
- National Grid Gas/Cadent Gas
- Northern Gas Networks
- Scotland Gas Networks
- Southern Gas Networks
- Wales and West Utilities
- Centrica/British Gas Trading
- EDF Energy
- E.ON Energy
- ScottishPower Energy Retail
- Ecotricity Group
- First Utility
- Good Energy Group
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Claudia Preedy, a leading analyst in the B2B sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
As competition in the energy retail market continues to heat up, suppliers are branching out into other utility services, such a broadband, and bundling their multi-utility offering to gain a competitive edge. The trend towards multi-utility brands is set to continue, with more suppliers offering diversified services to broaden their appeal to customers. Companies are also looking to gain a competitive position in the emerging ‘home services’ market, responding to the expanding on-demand economy and consumers’ growing demand for digital services that make their lives easier.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.