UK Hybrid and Electric Cars market report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Hybrid and Electric Cars market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry and how fast are its rates of growth? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Products covered in this report
Mintel’s report on the hybrid and electric car market covers vehicles that are powered either wholly or in part by an electric motor and/or batteries as defined by the UK government. These vehicles are slowly becoming a feature of the UK car market although currently they still account for only a small percentage of vehicles on the road.
Five types of hybrid and electric car are included in this review:
- Hybrid Vehicle or HV (combining an electric motor with a traditional fuel such as petrol or diesel. The electric motor is charged using the motion of the car and will typically kick in at low speeds)
- Electric Vehicle or EV (a vehicle powered, in part or in full, by an electric motor and battery that can be plugged into the mains or a charging point)
- Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle or PH-EV (a vehicle with a battery and an internal combustion engine (petrol, diesel etc). Power from the battery is supplemented with power from the internal combustion engine. Once the charge of the battery is exhausted the vehicle operates as a hybrid. The battery can be plugged into the mains or a charging point)
- Range Extended Electric Vehicle or RE-EV (a vehicle powered by a battery with an internal combustion engine powered generator on board. Once the charge of the battery is exhausted the internal combustion engine takes over. The battery can be plugged into the mains or a charging point or charged by the internal combustion engine)
- Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle or FC-EV (a vehicle that uses hydrogen gas as a fuel, which is stored in a compact, strong, but lightweight pressure tank. Power is generated by the fuel cell stack and is used to drive the FC-EV’s electric motor, with additional power supplied when needed from a secondary battery)
Within the hybrid and electric car market Mintel identifies a segment called ULEVs or Ultra Low Emission Vehicles. ULEV’s are defined by the UK government as cars or vans with tailpipe CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) emissions of 75 g/km or less.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Neil Mason, a leading analyst in the Automotive sector, his extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
From what can be considered as comprising a niche market, hybrid and electric cars are quickly establishing themselves as a fast-developing market. Stimulated by support from government and manufacturers, demand for these vehicles has led to them becoming the most dynamic segment within the UK car market. With support and innovation continuing, Mintel predicts further expansion with these vehicles becoming a common feature on our roads.
Head of Retail Research
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.