UK Property as an Investment Market Report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Property as an Investment market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Covered in this report
This report examines the UK market for property investment and second home ownership. This encompasses residential buy-tolet, properties let to family and second/holiday homes, located in the UK and abroad.
For the purposes of this report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- Second properties refer to properties that are owned and used by family/friends as a holiday home (ie not a main residence), let to others as a holiday let, for occupation while working away from home, rented or other. They may be purchased outright or bought with a mortgage. They may also be inherited.
- Second homes are a sub-set of the above and refer to second properties that are kept mainly for personal use, as opposed to being rented out to tenants. However, they may include occasional lets.
- Buy-to-let properties are properties bought with the purpose of renting them out. They may be purchased outright or with a mortgage.
- A buy-to-let mortgage is a special type of mortgage advanced on a property that is, or is intended to be, let to tenants. Viewed as a form of commercial lending, they fall under the remit of the PRA (Prudential Regulation Authority).
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Irene Salazar, a leading analyst in the Financial Services sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Following a challenging 2017, the buy-to-let market returned to growth in 2018. The sector is adjusting to the ‘new normal’ in terms of regulatory environment. Attracting investors may be harder, but there is an opportunity for providers to launch specialised products and create value with expert advice, reflecting market trends and consumer demand, such as the growing interest in Airbnb
Financial Services Analyst
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.