UK Public Expenditure market report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Public Expenditure market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry and how fast are its rates of growth? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
This Report looks at the following areas:
- What have been the drivers of public expenditure activity over the past year?
- One year on, how has the Brexit decision impacted the sector?
- How will the UK look to change public spending in light of political uncertainty?
- What does the future of public expenditure look like?
For the purposes of this Report, UK public expenditure, which covers the government’s spending on public services, has been segmented into:
- central government expenditure
- local government expenditure
- public corporation expenditure
Each of these can be further segmented into the service function:
- general public services - defined as executive and legislative organs, financial and fiscal affairs, external affairs, foreign economic aid; general services; basic research; R&D general public services; general public services not elsewhere classified, public debt transactions, and transfers of a general character between different levels of government
- defence - which includes military defence, civil defence, foreign military aid, and R&D defence
- public order and safety - which covers police services, fire-protection services, law courts, prisons, R&D public order and safety
- economic affairs - which includes general economic, commercial and labour affairs, agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, fuel and energy, mining, manufacturing and construction, transport, communication, other industries, and R&D economic affairs
- environment protection - which includes waste management, waste water management, pollution abatement, protection of biodiversity and landscape, and R&D environmental protection
- housing and community amenities - which covers housing development, community development, water supply, street lighting, and R&D housing and community amenities
- health - which includes medical products, appliances and equipment, outpatient services, hospital services, public health services, and R&D health
- recreation, culture and religion - which includes recreational and sporting services, cultural services, broadcasting and publishing services, religious and other community services, and R&D recreation, culture and religion
- education - which covers pre-primary and primary education, secondary education, post-secondary non-tertiary education, tertiary education, education not definable by level, subsidiary services to education, and R&D education
- social protection - which is defined as helping those in need or at risk of hardship and includes sickness and disability, old age, survivors, family and children, unemployment, housing, social exclusion and, R&D social protection
Expenditure can be further segmented into:
- current expenditure on services
- capital expenditure
For forecasting and planning, Total Managed Expenditure (TME) is segmented into Departmental Expenditure Limits (DEL) and Annually Managed Expenditure (AME). Departments are given firm three-year spending limits, within which they prioritise resources and plan ahead. Spending that cannot reasonably be subject to firm multi-year limits, typically because it is large, potentially volatile and demand-led, is included in AME. Lower levels of AME expenditure release extra spending for public services in DEL.
DEL consists of resource budget for resource consumption and capital budget for new investment, less depreciation. AME mainly consists of departmental AME, such as social security benefits, and various allowances and subsidies.
Years quoted in this Report are government fiscal years, ending in March of the identified year.
- Social Protection
- General public services
- Economic Affairs
- Public order & safety
- BAE Systems
- Babcock International Group
- Balfour Beatty
- IBM United Kingdom
- Rolls Royce
- Thales UK
- Wates Group
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Marco Amasanti, a leading analyst in the B2B sector, his extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
A year on from the Brexit referendum, the primary determinate of public expenditure in the period beyond exit negotiations remains the speculative impact that renegotiated trade deals will have on national income. This uncertainty was compounded by the 2017 general election, which revealed growing weariness from the public around ongoing austerity measures.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.