UK Shopfitting market report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Shopfitting market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry and how fast are its rates of growth? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Key Questions Covered
- What is the balance between refurbishment activity and new store fit out in the UK and how is this likely to change moving forward?
- How are retailers’ actions affecting prices in the shopfitting industry?
- What are the prospects for new retail construction in 2017 and beyond?
- What retail sectors will offer the strongest new business opportunities over the coming year?
- What trends in retail store environments will affect shopfitters in the next five years?
The shopfitting market includes a wide range of products and services used in the fitting out of predominantly, but not exclusively, retail establishments. The market involves a variety of skills and products, the majority of which are also utilised in other sectors of the construction industry. These include the production and installation of:
- internal wall cladding
- windows and doors
- raised access flooring
- suspended ceilings
- shop facias
- electronic point of sale equipment
- counters & furniture
- dressing rooms
- electronic display equipment
- heating and ventilation equipment
The requirements of shopfitters depend largely on the sector involved, with specialist work often subcontracted out to non-shopfitting specialists.
Shopfitters typically offer design facilities, although specialist designers and architects who have no in-house production or installation facilities, and the work of specialist, non-shopfitting companies are beyond the confines of this report.
The following criteria are mentioned in the report:
- bespoke/standard fittings, with bespoke fittings representing custom-made products while standard products are often available “off the shelf”
- new build/refurbishment, with both sectors offering substantial opportunities for shopfitting companies
- client sector, with different client sectors having vastly different requirements in terms of fitting requirements, furniture, image and decor
- materials, which differ from sector to sector, with wood, aluminium laminates and composites the widely specified finishes in the shopfitting sector
The assessment of the market is restricted to that served by dedicated shopfitting organisations. The market size excludes retailers’ in-house work and architects and designers with no manufacturing base. The practice of sub-contracting is widespread in the market. To avoid double counting, estimates have been made concerning the original value of contracts only.
The wide range of activities involved in the shopfitting market, from integrated shopfitting contractors to interior designers, hinders a precise quantification of market value. As such, estimates of market size are strongly based on trade opinion.
All values quoted in this report are at current prices unless otherwise specified.
- Browmer & Kirkland
- RG Carter Group
- Hutton Construction
- Morris & Spottiswood
- Simons Group
- Simpson (York)
- Styles & Wood Group
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Terry Leggett, a leading analyst in the B2B sector, his extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
There was belief prior to the recession that the increased frequency of store refurbishments in what remains an intensely competitive retail sector had broken the highly cyclical nature of the shopfitting sector. This proved overly optimistic as large retail chains delayed the roll out of refurbishment programmes in uncertain economic conditions. Now faced with uncertainties surrounding the Brexit outcome, further short-term disruption to the shopfitting market is expected.
Senior B2B Analyst
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.