UK Wearable Technology market report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Wearable Technology market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Covered in this report
For the purposes of this report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- The term ‘wearable technology’ (also referred to as ‘wearable devices’ or ‘wearables’) in this Report refers to a category of technology devices that can be worn on the body, either as an accessory or as items of clothing.
- Generally, wearable technology products can perform some of the same computing tasks as smartphones and have the ability to connect to the internet, which enables data exchange. In addition, they can provide sensory and scanning features such as biometrics and tracking of physiological functions and allow for real-time access to this information.
- The terms ‘fitness bands’ and ‘fitness trackers’ are used interchangeably, and refer to wrist-worn devices without smart functionality (this is defined as the ability to download third party apps or interact with information from a smartphone).
- Mintel market size estimates only cover fitness bands and smartwatches.
What you need to know
Ownership of smartwatches has remained static recently but the market is set for further growth, with strong intent to buy and a range of new releases from major brands. Apple launched its Series 4 Apple Watch in September 2018 with the focus firmly on health and fitness. The flagship device included an ECG (Electrocardiogram) to help monitor heart health and provide vital notifications. However, the use of the technology has as yet only been approved in the US and not the UK.
Besides a slightly larger watch face and smaller bezel, the rest of the upgrades to the device are fairly incremental. Samsung also released a new smartwatch in September 2018, bringing its latest device under the Galaxy brand instead of a linear successor to the Gear Watch 3. With Garmin and Fitbit also launching new smartwatches in 2018, the lines between fitness trackers and smartwatches are increasingly blurred.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Adrian Reynolds, a leading analyst in the Technology sector, his extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Smartwatch sales are beginning to overtake those of fitness bands and sports watches as lines between the devices blur. Consumers are seeing real health benefits in the data collection and analysis such devices can provide, with many motivated to exercise more. While wearable technology brands continue to innovative across the jewellery, clothing and headphone markets, smartwatches will remain the primary focus, driven by annual launches from the major smartphone manufacturers
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.