UK Wearable Technology market report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of Black Friday, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry and how fast are its rates of growth? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
For the purposes of this Report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- The term ‘wearable technology’ (also referred to as ‘wearable devices’ or ‘wearables’) in this Report refers to a category of technology devices that can be worn on the body, either as an accessory or as items of clothing.
- Generally, wearable technology products can perform some of the same computing tasks as smartphones and have the ability to connect to the internet, which enables data exchange. In addition, they can provide sensory and scanning features such as biometrics and tracking of physiological functions and allow for real-time access to this information.
- As far as this Report is concerned, the definition encompasses smartwatches, fitness bands, GPS watches, wearable cameras, smart clothing, smart jewellery and smart glasses/ headsets. Although Virtual Reality (VR) headsets could be considered items of wearable technology, they are not included in the definition for this Report, being rather covered in their own, separate Report, Virtual Reality – UK, December 2017.
- The terms ‘fitness bands’ and ‘fitness trackers’ are used interchangeably, and refer to wrist-worn devices without smart functionality (this is defined as the ability to download third party apps or interact with information from a smartphone).
- Mintel market size estimates only cover fitness bands and smartwatches.
- This Report only covers the UK consumer market for wearable technology: B2B (business-to-business) sales are excluded from market data, and analysis refers only to trends in consumer markets unless specifically stated
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Andrew Moss, Mintel's Technology Analyst, his knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Smartwatches and fitness trackers in particular are becoming increasingly advanced, and the value of these devices is becoming clearer to consumers. Technology for managing health and wellbeing will continue to appeal, whilst functionality such as cellular connectivity will promote these devices as potential stand-alone devices for adults and children alike.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.