Underwear - UK - March 2010
- In a challenging economic environment, the £2.57 billion underwear market has held up reasonably well, although there have been some casualties – notably Intimas.
- Although people might be cutting back on their underwear purchasing, just 3m men and 1m women did
- not buy new underwear in 2009.
- Women account for more than 70% of underwear spend because they buy a greater number of items. women buy underwear for a host of reasons or occasions, whereas men stick largely to replacement buys.
- Replacement might be the key reason for buying underwear for more than 30m adults but 15m are prompted to buy new underwear by a price offer, such as a sale or a voucher.
- More than 10m people buy underwear either on impulse (ie as a treat) or for a special occasion, such as going on holiday.
- Own-brand dominates the underwear sector. Almost 20m people bought underwear from M&S compared to 13m from a supermarket and 12m from a value retailer. By contrast, 6m people wear Calvin Klein undies – the leading non-retail brand.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.