America's Pet Owners market report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Pet Consumer market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry and how fast are its rates of growth? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
For the purposes of this Report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- Pet owners: adults aged 18+ who own a cat or dog, but may also own other animals
- Pet non-owners: adults aged 18+ who don’t own any animals
- Cat owner only: adults aged 18+ who own at least one cat, and do not have pets of other species
- Dog owner only: adults aged 18+ who own at least one dog, and do not have pets of other species
The market segments include the following:
- Pet food: Food and treats for household pets, including cats, dogs, small animals (eg , hamsters, rabbits), fish, reptiles, and birds. Food for dogs and cats may be dry, wet/canned, semimoist, or in the form of treats.
- Pet supplies: Supplies for household pets including cats, dogs, small animals (hamsters, etc.), reptiles, fish, and birds; horse care items are not included. Supplies include, but are not limited to, litter/deodorant, rawhide dog chews, dog/cat supplies (ie , grooming, collars, leashes, toys, bedding, feeding equipment, and over-the-counter flea and tick treatments), and non-dog/cat supplies (ie , indoor aquariums and aquarium accessories, and bird feeders).
- Veterinary services: Routine exams; surgical and non-surgical treatments; lab services, etc. Includes only services provided by veterinarians who predominantly or exclusively treat companion animals.
- Pet services: Grooming, boarding, training, etc. Includes pet service revenues at veterinary offices and pet stores, in addition to businesses primarily offering pet services. Service estimates are based on retail sales only and do not include private transactions, such as freelance dog walkers or pet sitters.
Market size figures do not include the sale of live pets, either through pet stores, breeders, or other channels.
This Report builds on analysis presented in other Mintel Reports. Readers may also be interested in:
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Dana Macke, a leading analyst in the Senior Lifestyles and Leisure Analyst sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Pet ownership continues on an upward trajectory with growth experienced among all segments (pet food, pet supplies, veterinary services, pet services). An interest in keeping pets healthy, coupled with the rising cost of veterinary care, is propelling the market forward as veterinarian services overtake pet food as the largest segment in the pet industry.
Senior Lifestyles and Leisure Analyst
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.