US Center of the Store market report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Center of Store market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry and how fast are its rates of growth? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
This Report builds on the analysis presented in Mintel’s Center of the Store – US, January 2016.
The center of the store, as defined for this report, includes food categories typically found along the interior aisles of supermarkets, grocery stores, and most supercenters. All retail sales of the specified items are included even though differences in store layout may mean that not all stores (particularly food retailers that are not traditional grocers) position these items in the store center.
The following segments are used in this Report:
- Shelf-stable grocery: including processed meats, meat products, and meats included in processed food; packaged loaf breads, rolls, refrigerated bread dough, and cakes/pies/desserts; canned produce; shelf-stable snacks; and cereal
- Frozen foods: including produce, frozen/prepared meals, and frozen snacks
This Report excludes items discussed in Mintel’s Perimeter of the Store – US, June 2014:
- Meat, poultry, fish/seafood: fresh and frozen
- Fresh produce: fresh fruits and vegetables, including bagged salads
- Milk, dairy, eggs: fresh dairy and nondairy milk, cream; butter; cheese (natural, processed, cream cheese/spreads, cottage cheese); fresh eggs
- Bakery: in-store baked breads/rolls only
- In-store deli prepared foods: freshly prepared foods such as entrées, sandwiches, appetizers, salads, sides, trays, dips, desserts, soups, spreads
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by John Owen, a leading analyst in the Retail & Apparel sector, his extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
The shelf-stable and frozen and shelf-stable packaged food categories of the center store have generated only minimal growth in recent years as shoppers have gravitated to perimeter departments offering foods they perceive to be fresher, healthier, and tastier. While center-store brands are making changes to their products to align with shifting consumer preferences, product improvements alone may not be enough to accelerate growth. Retailers and brands should also look to create a more engaging and idea-driven shopping experience in the center store.
Senior Food & Drink Analyst
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.