US Cooking Enthusiasts market report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Cooking Enthusiasts market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry and how fast are its rates of growth? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
For the purposes of this Report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- Cooking Enthusiasts are those who cook, say they either like or love cooking, have at least basic cooking skills, and typically cook because they want to rather than because they have to. 46% of American adults aged 18+ are Cooking Enthusiasts, which equates to roughly 115 million adults.
- Conflicted Cooks are on the fence about their enthusiasm for cooking. While they do cook, like or love cooking, and have at least basic skills, they typically cook because they have to (not because they want to). Moreover, some Conflicted Cooks say they like or love to cook but don’t have any skills, while others dislike cooking but have advanced or very advanced skills. 19% of American adults aged 18+ are Conflicted Cooks, which equates to about 47 million adults.
- Infrequent Cooks rarely cook. 12% of American adults aged 18+ are Infrequent Cooks, which equates to about 30 million adults.
- Unenthusiastic Cooks cook occasionally or frequently but don’t mind or dislike it. 18% of American adults aged 18+ are Unenthusiastic Cooks, which equates to roughly 45 million adults.
- Non-Cooks never cook. 6% of American adults aged 18+ never cook, which equates to roughly 15 million adults.
This Report builds on the analysis presented in Mintel’s Cooking Enthusiasts – US, November 2016, as well as the 2011-15 Reports of the same title.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Gina Cavato, a leading analyst in the Lifestyles & Leisure sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
In 2017, Cooking Enthusiasts account for 46% of adults aged 18+, or about 115 million people. These adults have at least basic cooking skills, like or love cooking, and cook because they want to rather than because they have to. Innovation and competition in grocery retailing, along with low food prices, have made cooking at home cost-effective. However, while saving money is a motivation for cooking, Cooking Enthusiasts are more likely to cook because they enjoy the process. They are also driven to cook because they like to try new recipes and see cooking as a way to spend time with their family.
Associate Director - Lifestyles & Leisure
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.