US Full Service Restaurants Market Report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Full Service Restaurants market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Covered in this report
This report covers consumers’ attitudes and behaviors surrounding FSRs. FSRs are defined by having a front of house staff (ie waiters, host). FSRs include the following restaurant segments:
- Midscale restaurants (used interchangeably with family dining restaurants) offer the lowest check size of any FSR. A majority of midscales do not serve alcohol, though some may have a limited alcohol selection (just beer and wine). Midscale examples include Denny’s, Cracker Barrel, and IHOP. Buffet restaurants are classified as midscale restaurants (eg Golden Corral).
- Casual dining restaurants represent the largest segment of the FSR market. Casual dining restaurants have higher pricing than family/midscales but lower than fine dining, and they offer a full bar. Examples include Chili’s, Olive Garden, and Outback Steakhouse.
- Upper casual dining restaurants are a subsegment of casual dining restaurants. They are generally regarded as restaurants with a higher price point than most casual dining chains but not as expensive as fine dining restaurants.
- Fine dining restaurants have the highest price point of all FSRs
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Jill Failla, a leading analyst in the Foodservice sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
The massive and influential FSR (full service restaurant) segment demonstrates moderate sales growth overall, though it’s losing slight share year-over-year to the limited service sector and other growing threats, such as retail prepared foods. Within this segment, casual dining and midscale chains are seeing the greatest challenges when it comes to their sales and traffic, while independent full service restaurants and fine dining are finding ways to innovate and grow their businesses.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.