Vehicle Recovery - UK - September 2010
This report covers vehicle breakdown recovery services available to private car owners, whether on a direct or indirect basis, as is common in the marketplace.
- The Vehicle Recovery Services market is largely an intermediary market with nearly three quarters of all vehicle owners purchasing or acquiring their breakdown cover through their car insurer, bank, car dealer or other intermediary.
- Nearly one third of all vehicle owners at 32% bought or acquired their breakdown cover as part of their motor insurance policy so the insurance renewal period is a key period for influencing vehicle owners’ renewal of breakdown cover.
- Of the 28% of vehicle owners who purchased breakdown cover direct, half was purchased over the internet including 11% purchasing via a price comparison website. Internet marketing will grow in importance as a distribution channel for the marketing of breakdown cover.
- The long term development of electric vehicle technology may result in an increase in vehicle leasing rather than outright purchase. The provision of breakdown cover may shift to becoming almost entirely an original equipment supplied product rather than an aftermarket renewal product.
- Higher car operating costs such as maintenance and fuel are encouraging vehicle owners to seek lower costs in other discretionary areas of vehicle operating cost expenditure. Breakdown cover is a discretionary area of spend, and has felt the impact of consumers seeking lower-cost alternatives.
- Recovery services companies need to develop customer relationship strategies that enable a dialogue to begin with the customer as soon as they become members of a breakdown service. This is key to enhancing the experience of the brand and is significant in influencing the member’s brand loyalty at renewal.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.