Vitamins and Minerals - US - December 2011
The U.S. vitamins and minerals market experienced strong sales through food, drug, and mass channels between 2006 and 2010, before decelerating significantly in 2011, mostly because the economy continues to stagnate and consumers are looking for ways to cut household costs. However, the future appears to hold promise for the market as America’s population skews older, as older consumers comprise the market’s core users and many find that supplements help them deal with a range of age-related health conditions. This report closely analyzes these factors, and provides in-depth examination of the following:
- Potential negative growth drivers represented by some charges that supplements do more harm than help, and that supplements are not federally regulated, which may lead to tainted products
- The possibility of cannibalization of vitamins and minerals from herbal/botanical supplements and competition from supplement-containing foods and drinks
- The leading role of drug stores in the FDMx market and the common theme of wellness that many chains employ to draw customers
- Which brands of vitamins consumers are most likely to report using, according to results from the Experian Simmons NCS/NHCS, and what attitudes inform their purchase decisions
- Innovations in the market, including the rise of gummies as more adults perceive their ease of ingestion and better taste than tablets
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.