“Waste management has changed significantly over the last two decades, with this change more evident over the last five years largely due to the growing importance of reaching EU directive targets. There has been a sharp decline in the amount of waste disposed to landfill and an increase in recycling.”
– Lewis Cone, Research Analyst
This report will explore the following key questions regarding to Waste Management in the UK:
- What are the key determinants that are driving the waste management industry?
- Was the industry affected by the financial crisis? If so, how has it developed and changed since?
- How have government schemes influenced market demand and supply?
- How have EU Directives and the threat of climate change changed the industry's approach?
- What are the key issues that the industry needs to address in order to diversify its service and to compete in the long-term?What does the future hold for UK waste management?
This report analyses the sources of waste arisings in the UK, and the collection, treatment and disposal of that waste, particularly concentrating on the collection and disposal of domestic, commercial, industrial, building and demolition refuse, which can be broadly defined as the element of waste that is available to commercial contractors.
For the purpose of the report, the sources of waste arisings in the UK are defined as:
- Agricultural Waste – non-organic waste arising from both the intensive and less intensive farming sectors, including wastes such as plastics (including fertiliser bags and silage wrap), pesticide and oil containers, pesticide washing, asbestos, scrap metal, batteries, veterinary waste, used oil, paper and cardboard.
- Mining Waste – waste and residues arising from the extraction of raw materials from the earth.
- Industrial Waste – waste arising from any factory and premises occupied by an industry.
- Household Waste – waste arising from residential premises and collected by household collection rounds, street sweeping, litter collection and separate garden waste collection services. This also includes waste collected from civic amenity sites, any waste collected for recycling or composting through bring/drop off schemes and kerb-side collection.
- Commercial Waste – waste arising from any premises used wholly or mainly for trade, business activities, including sport, recreation, education or entertainment, excluding any municipal and industrial waste.
- Construction and Demolition Waste – waste arising from the construction, repair, maintenance and demolition of buildings and structures. Mainly includes brick, concrete, hardcore subsoil, and topsoil, as well as some timber, metal and plastics.
- Sewage Sludge – semi-solid residue arising from the wastewater treatment process.
- Dredged Spoils – excess material created by the process of dredging, an excavation activity or operation usually carried out at least partly underwater.
The report also refers to municipal waste, which is defined as:
“Including household waste and any other wastes collected by a Waste Collection Authority, or its agents, such as municipal parks and gardens waste, beach cleansing waste, commercial or industrial waste and waste resulting from the clearance of fly-tipped materials.”
Roughly 89% of municipal waste comprises household waste, with the remaining 11% included in the other sections for the purposes of the market size sector of this report, such as commercial, industrial and construction and demolition.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.