Watches and Jewellery Retailing - UK - September 2010
The watches and jewellery markets has not been immune to the economic climate and the whole industry suffered in late 2008 and in 2009 as consumer confidence fell and people became more cautious about their spending.
- The overall jewellery and watches market grew by 10% since 2005 to reach £4.8 billion in 2010 and Mintel forecasts 11% growth for the jewellery and watches market over the next five years.
- Rocketing gold prices and the recession have led many consumers to buy silver jewellery instead of gold, with almost one in five people wearing more silver jewellery than gold, rising to nearly three in ten women, particularly young people aged 15-24.
- Costume jewellery is the smallest sector of the watches and jewellery market, but has grown at the fastest rate. The market is expected to grow further, thanks to people buying pieces for accessorising more frequently and as young people under-25 continue to spend.
- The affordability and disposability of many costume jewellery items means that customers are more willing to experiment and try new looks without denting their bank balances. Almost a third of women buy costume jewellery in different styles and colours to complement their outfits.
- The high number of people who like to receive precious metal jewellery as a gift shows the importance of the gifting market for retailers, with four in ten adults enjoying receiving precious metal jewellery as a birthday or Christmas present.
- Young men aged under-35 are more open to paying higher amounts for a watch as they typically do not wear jewellery to express their individuality or consumer spending power.
- Some 86% of consumers wear a watch, but nearly 40% only buy a new one when their old one is broken. Converging the watch’s main function with health benefits would be one way of helping create new reasons for purchase.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.